Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Confessions of a Size Zero!

Nobody ever realizes that unhappiness with one's body is a common theme in every one's life. Regardless of how beautiful they are, how healthy they are, how fat or thin or light or dark they are, almost everyone is insecure about their bodies.

Take for example the furor about being size zero, which shows absolutely no signs of dying down. How can such a small number cause such big problems? For someone of this size, I would be lying if I said that I'm completely happy with the way my body looks. Being naturally very slim comes with it's disadvantages. I have had many not-so-pleasant experiences of being discriminated on the basis of my body. New people, who I meet in my life, look at me and say, "Are you Anorexic?" Anorexia is an eating disorder, referring exclusively to women, in which women and mainly young girls starve themselves in order to become skinny. I don't starve, in fact people who know me are often amazed at my full diet and constantly ask me, "If you eat so much then why don't you put on any weight?" My body has become the status quo and I'm considered frail and not taken seriously. Things have been that way for a long time now, and I'm only sixteen.. Every time I look in the mirror, I see a clearly visible collarbone, all the ribs and the pelvic bone sticking out. People become size zero to see themselves become all skin and bones? Is it really worth it? It doesn't make me feel that good. I never really understood the obsession people have with small waistlines and petite frames. i have to admit many a times I've wanted a healthier looking figure, lusting after the perfect curves of the Victoria's Secret models..

I feel that it is both wrong and unfair to promote the image that skinny is beautiful. It is not right to make young girls believe that being a size zero is the key to happiness, to confine the ideals of beauty to such narrow thinking. The media and the celebrities also promote size zero as the latest fashion statement. Being size zero is very different from buying from the latest Couture collection, it has a deep impact on your health and lifestyle. Each individual woman's body demands to be accepted on it's own terms. But, the fact is that as long as there is media promoting the size zero craze there will always be young girls starving themselves, becoming anorexic or bulimic, in a desperate attempt to fit in. And there will also be the naturally skinny people like me trying to evade the label of "anorexic" or "bulimic".

No comments:

Post a Comment